Monday, June 1, 2009

When in doubt, throw on a scarf!

So, I made it across the Atlantic Ocean! lol My flight left Michigan and I had a transfer in Amsterdam. The flight was only about 7 hours but it seemed longer because of the time change. The flight wasn't bad; I felt a little spoiled because that was my first time on a plane where each passenger had their own TV & you could do whatever you wanted on there, movies, games, music, etc. So before coming to Europe a lot of people told me to not wind up like the girls in the movie "Taken". People told me what happened, but I had never seen the movie before until the plane ride. lol. That was one of the movie options so I just decided to watch it. I also got an OK dinner on the plane, and snack. The second flight from Amsterdam to Paris was only about 50 min, so we just got a snack. So I meet up with Henry and we get on the RER (one of the public transportations systems here) and take it to where he stays. The building is SO pretty on the outside! After dropping my bag off, we pretty much went out the door. We first go purchase a metro ticket for me and then had a little picnic in one of the gardens that he put together.
Here in Paris people are out walking around almost ALL the time. I know its a big tourist attraction, but a lot of these people weren't tourists. We then walked around some more. I got to see a good view of the Eiffel Tower. I got to see other well known places here, but I can't remember the names of them all. I bought a Crepe which Nick told me about and it was SO good! Later, Henry and I went to Chatlet et Marais, Rudesrossiers (sp), window browsed, I bought a "shirt dress", and got some of the BEST ice cream I've ever tasted! We went to a lot of other places too, but I'm not going to even attempt to spell some of them, lol. We came back to where he stays for a minute to rest and then later went out to eat a late dinner at an Italian restaurant in the Latin Quarter. One thing I do like here at the restaurants, you don't have to leave a tip, nor is there tax. Well, there is, but it's put in the price already so you don't have to see it. The Euro is such a pretty currency to me that it shouldn't be used to pay for things lol. In America, our change is for anything less than a dollar, but here, they have coins for 1 Euro, 2 Euros as well as stuff less than 1 Euro (the cents). I know it's like that in some other places, but I didn't know it was like that here. After being here for a little less than a day, I've learned and observed so much. There really are no overweight people here at all, nobody really wears bright colors, not many people drive, girls don't really "style" their hair (they kind of just wear it however, sort of like they don't care) and a few other things. Probably one of the biggest things I've realized, as well as being told this by Henry, is that a LOT of people wear scarves here. People wear them in all different intricate ways around their necks. When I first got off the plane Henry told me I looked so American. By the end of the day, I looked like I was from here because a girl on the metro started talking to me in French asking me something and because Henry "made me over". So tip of advice when in Paris and you don't want to look like an American, throw on a scarf! lol I do however miss home a little and I feel SOOO far away, but I have hope that I'm going to enjoy this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment