Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 2 and 3

I didn't come to the internet cafe yesterday so I did not write a blog. I meant to write on my laptop and then just upload it here. Yesterday morning, my roommate and I went to the grocery store and picked up a few things so we can sometimes cook food as opposed to always going out to eat. She later went to the gym and I took a nap. Later, we met up with the guys and went to see this church that was partially destroyed during WWII (if I remember correctly) and we walked around Zoologisher Garten for a minute. After the guys left, my roommate and I went shopping. I didn't buy anything though because the shoes I wanted, they didn't have my size ) : After shopping, we came back because more people in our program had arrived. When we met up with them, we went to this Turkish food place not too far from our apartments and got something to eat. We later met up with Kristina, who is basically like our adviser sort of, and her friend and they were going to take us out to a club, but after a LOT of walking around, we wound up just going to a Mexican restaurant and staying there longer than we anticipated. Once we got back however, we were hungry again (lol) because we only ate little nacho chips at the Mexican restaurant. It was late so we didn't want to go far, nor were a lot of places open so we went and got donor kebabs down the street from our apartments. After that, we all just went to sleep (finally, lol) Here the sky doesn't get as dark as it does back home at like 2 in the morning so when I woke up in the middle of the night around 4am it was light out as if the sun was rising!

Today, I didn't get up until 12:45 because I was so tired. More students arrived today as well. Before getting on the subway, the new students that came did not have their school IDs yet so they had to purchase tickets. The lady at the counter though did not speak English so I was the one to translate for them and help them purchase subway tickets, lol. Once we got on the subway, we went to the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. The Museum was big, and it had a lot of interesting information, displays, pictures, etc. After spending sometime there we went across the street to eat, and then I left the group to go meet my German pen pal Vivien whom I have known for about 4 years! It was a school assignment back in high school to get a pen pal, and we've been friends ever since! I was so excited to finally meet her in person because we've just always talked through snail mail, email, instant messaging, or webcam chat. The rest of the group went to an erotic museum, which I did not want to go to anyway so I wasn't missing out. Once I met Vivian, we went to Alexanderplatz where they have a nice mall and other big shops! Right now the weather is a little cold here and I didn't bring a nice little jacket to wear so we were looking for one. Unfortunately, I have long arms so none of them fit. ) : I did however buy a sweater. When Vivi and I write to one another, she usually writes to me in English, and I write to her in German so today we did the same thing, I talked in German and she talked in English. She has been speaking English longer than I have been speaking German so she was a lot better than me! lol While walking through the mall, we were talking about how later we're going to hang out again and I will get to meet her family and everything because she has told them about me, like I have told mine about her. When I told her I was coming out to Berlin she asked her parents if she could come visit me in the states and they said they didn't have a problem with it, so one day she will get to come visit me! :D We made plans to hang out again this weekend and plans for other things too, so I'm looking forward to that. Right now, it is almost 10PM and I think we're going to go out as a group again, I kind of don't want to but we'll see...I just know, I can't wait until they hook the internet up in our apartments because I don't like having to pay for the internet! lol The guy that does the internet hook up, is on vacation so that's why we have to wait so long unfortunately.
(me on the huge teeter totters they have here)

No comments:

Post a Comment